Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Bodrum: Day 3

Day three was pretty uneventful. I woke up late (as always) went to lunch at the Turkısh restaurant, sat there eatıng, drınkıng water, eatıng lemon and socıalızıng for four hours. I literally sat there for four hours. At first by myself reading and waiting for my food to arrive, when it finnaly arrive Jascha, Gaga, Heather, Schulte and Andrew and Nermin came and I joined them. Then everyone but Jascha and Gaga left as they were keeping me company while I finished my food. Then Ian and Ferdi came. They started eating and Jascha and Gaga left, then Natalie, Kevin and Hannah and Natali showed up and Feri and Ian left. The nature of Bodrum. I sat there and saw all those people come and go. I then went back to sleep as I was sick and had to nurse my sore throat. That evening was fun. It began with Turkish night meaning: more Turkish food at the buffet. My personal favorites being the Humus and Chicken Kebab. There was also some Turkish traditional dancing in the amphitheatre and a belly dancing performance. The belly dancer finished her solo dance and then began to call male members of the audience up.There ended up being six guys up there in all, including our very own Ben and Joe. I think when the guys were called up most of them may have expected a lap dance or something, certainly not having to shake their hips and shimmy in front of family, friends and Fremder. Next on the agenda was Sofia's Birthday. For her birthday Sofia wanted to go into the town of Gumbet* to club/bar hop. Sounded good to me. But some people didn't feel it was necessary at that point to leave the resort. They came up with a pretty cool alternative. They set up the pier the Sunrise peer with all the gian pillows in a circle with a space in the middle for candles and tea lights to spell out the numbers one and eight. They also procured two bottles of champagne and five champagne glasses (the resort was stingy with the glasses). They got everyone to be at the peer around 23.00 and around 23.30 they blind folded Sofia and carried her there. It was a supercalafragelistickespialadocious suprise for her. Rules one and two of birthday suprises as exemplified by Peter's for Eli were followed. 1) Sofia didn't not know about it and 2) She was suprised. The whole thing was arranged within such a short period of time the chances of it slipping were very very low. There were also balloons which Schulte had come up with the idea to fill with sand to keep them from blowing away. They were cool till people started smashing them on other people, and every now and again we'd all have the bejesus scared out of us as someone tossing a balloon inadvertantly (or advertantly) got a balloon rolling around among the candles. We stayed around the candle light trying to sing to the guitar for a while. Then I think I went to bed. I can't remember as it took place several days ago and so much happened in such a short time it's all sort of a blur. But I think that this was one of my early nights. By early I mean I went to bed before the sun came out, though it was probably light out. No wait, now I remember. We went to the resort disco and danced all night with the birthday girl. They also played a crappy happy birthday, not like in Vienna where the play the Stevie Wonder version. This one was a sucky techno version, and it made me homesick for Vienna where the clubs have a good happy Birthday song. Actually that night was my first sunrise. Because of drama that became a hallmark of our stay in Bodrum, Natali was staying in Hannah and my room and we went down to the pier to catch the sunrise with Paul, Veza, Teresa, Joey and Mimi (I think). The sunrises are all beginning to blur into each other, except the first and last one I saw. Paul and Joey were having a tussle with Veza and one of the giant pillows ended up in the ocean (I think it was this time). Paul ended up having to fish it out with a paddle while hanging off the edge of the pier and Joey hanging onto his feet. Not only did we do this, but we'd left wax on the pier from the candles and Joey and Paul were throwing glasses into the see and Natali C. threw in a plate. I was sworn at by her for chatising them for turning the ocean into a landfill. But they were. People have no respect, and expecting them to is a waste of energy. It's quite disgusting for people with highschool diplomas (so we can assume not completely ignorant) to be abusing such a beautiful place. I guess handing someone a diploma doesn't mean they can be expected to have common sense. Also being drunk doesn't help much either. But to cut a long rant short, the sun came up, I fell asleep, I woke up feeling like shit and joined Natali and Hannah for breakfast and slept. When pulling an all nighter falling asleep is bad, because you feel gross when you wake up. But the whole idea of falling asleep on a pier is a romantic one (romantic in the sense of the romantacism not romantic comedies).

*This description given by the link is a bit flat. Think of a street dedicated to clubs and bars with loud music that makes wanna dance blasting from each one and guys standing at the door offering you free shots and trying to make you come into their club. Don't forget all the flashing lights and shops selling silver stuff, sunglasses, fake stuff and touristy stuff in between. And restaurants offering everything from English to Italian, to Chinese, to Indian, to Turkish food (and sometimes four types at once).

1 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, at least I learned how to belly dance :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home