Monday, June 19, 2006

Bodrum: Summary

So i got lazy. Who doesn't. I mean I am having trouble hearing people speak to me in person let alone keeping up with my blog. Well anyway Bodrum. We left off at a Sunrise, which is how Day 6 ended.
But before we get ahead of ourselves, Day 4 we went into Bodrum. Ebo got us a bus, and first stop was the Bodrum Gold Center. They have amazing stuff none of us could afford. Well some people could afford it, but I wasn't one of them. Larissa "Fell in love with a ring". It was a beautiful starfish ring made of white and black diamonds. It was also being offered to us at a speacial discount price and if we'd been serious I'm sure we could have put together our college funds and bought it on Credit, but we were both so dumbstruck we weren't thinking straight. Then we were taken to the leather center, but most people just went next door to change money at a bank. As these places were all sponsors of Bentour (Our tour group and Ebo's employer) he was obliged to take us there. Beach Kick, more commonly known as Phil, made us wait 45 minutes in the bus while he bought a pretty cool looking leather jacket. Then we hit the Bazaar and all the fakes. Some people did better than others. Some people felt it "looked like shit", I guess they expected diamond chandeliers and marble floors, and decided to take a taxi home straight away. I stayed and it was fun. Among my prizes my favorite was a belly dancing hip scarf. That night was Karaoke night at the Hotel. All of the group who were there (maybe 20?) went up to sing "I'm so excited". We even danced around with the judges during the music interludes, but only received 26 out of 40 points (not a good score). We were robbed. We sent up several groups, like The American Gigolos (who the *censored adjective* chose that name?) who did a rendition, with Ferdi on beat box, of "Save tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry. We were all but yanked off the stage (have you seen the Apollo? If not www.youtube.com it) and were dispatched -40 points. That's - 10 from each judge. But overall it was fun, and the MC referred to us as "Out crazy teanagers from Vienna" in this heavy Turkish accent spliced with some US twang. Later Larissa, Hannah, Sofia, Natali, Ian and I braved the trip down to Gumbet. It kicked so much *donkey*. The flashing lights, the way people begged us to come to their clubs rather then asking for ID and raking their pea sized brains for reasons to not admit us. It was just such another experience. The clubs were open and the music so loud, the songs would be competing in the street. We unfortunately had to get back early because Natali wasn't feeling well, but it was wonderful. We ended up back at the lobby as the disco was closed by the time we got back. I think I went to bed that night.
Day 5 we went to the Aqua Park. What can I say about Aqua Park. It wasn't all that. The best part about it was the cheapness of the Henna tattoos and the Jewelry on offer. The groupd the swimmer had to walk on was painful. Pointy stuff placed there by some sadist under the excuse that "it would slow people down". Slidding accross that stuff would have been nasty. Elisabeth was left alone for a bit and made friends with a British boy named Tom who was quite into her. Everyone took a Tasksis home, because some of the more intelligent members of the group had insisted we stay for 5 hours. Ebo was very dissapointed that we didn't like it, because his groups usually liked it. But there were too many Americans, and that place was like the Prater compared to Disney World when put next to water parks in Amer-ca. That night we tore it up on the dance floor. One of my innibriated friends kept me at the disco till they literally stopped playing music. At some point I started talking to this group of Kazakstani kids by the pool, and the youngest and dumbest of them asked Natali "to *censored verb* him" in Russian. Then we left and they tried to get my room number, I hope in a friendly way. Some people went skinny dipping, and though I was invited (They were that drunk?) I had to decline. I think I sunrised it that night. Another one by the peer with the guitar going in the back, if my memory serves me correctly (which it probably doesn't). I tried to go to breakfast, but I felt like *censored noun*, as one tends too when pulling all nighters, and could only choke down some apricots.
Day 6, was possibly for me the the best day. Well it felt like it because Day 5 was so mediocre. Like plain chips. I like them, but I prefer Salt & Vinegar* or Tortila chips with my homemade Salsa. Anyway this was the day Larissa, Elisabeth and I escaped the resort bubble** and went down to Gumbet to shop. It was fun, and wonderful to be away from the Drama of the group. We also met Tom (by coincidence?) and he shopped with us for several hours. The last place we went we were in for over an hour haggling, trying on jeans and joking around. They could custom fit your jeans there in 20 mins. We then went to have tea at a restaurant that offered an interesting ice cream treat called "Young Girl's Dream". At this point Tom left to watch the footy as England was playing. We went back and ate. There wasn't enough time for my nap that day, so I was worried I'd be grouchy. But we went into Gumbet that night and had a pretty good time. We did more shopping and Ian was P.I.M.P.ing it. Or trying too at least. He got prices down for us (or seemed too) at alot of places. Like drinks and earrings Juice got for a girl back home, ect. We tore up the clubs, and missed being beaten up by British Soccer Hooligens (ya, there were some in Bodrum). After Kebab break alot of people wanted to go home, so they took Taksis back, more people who hadnt been out came out, some stayed and joined those, and Alix, Sofia and I walked back. Though I got a Turkish CD at like 2.46 am and a gift for Jun before we left Gumbet. I ended up going back to my room and listening to my CD while I packed. I also saw some of the first episode of Prison Break (in English). They were playing it all day because I saw it earlier, Natalie saw it at a different time, and it was on again. Around 4.00 I was pretty much done packing and bored, so I went out to find some trouble - I mean people. I just happened to meet Paul, Sarvin and Joey, and Juice thinking the same thing and on their way to the lobby. We got there and found the later-arrived Gumbet people. Also the Salzburgers had to leave for Austria in the middle of the night around the same time. Well there ended up being a bunch of us hanging out in the lobby. Paul was talking with the bar keeper Ahmet and making friends. He had his late night snack with Paul, James and I and let Paul wear his bowtie and stand behind the bar. We also went to get our own water. I was also bussing tables. At this point (around this time) Jascha took off his pants and began to dance around the lobby. It was quite funny. The pics are on pwollner. Then we watched the sunrise on the lobby balcony for the first time. Alot more rediculous stuff happened that night, but just check out my pictures. I then went to breakfast, slept a few hours and we left.
Day 7: We left. Thank's Bentour for everything.

Picture available at: this link (I think I'm supposed to say hosted by pwollner.com, but I took them)

* Salt & Vinegar Chips: I like Salt & Vinegar chips, and before I moved to Vienna they were the only potato chips I would eat. South Africa has so many chip flavours, so when I arrived in Vienna five years ago to find only four chip flavours I knew I had arrived in a godless place. Since then, however, they have been improving, but have not as yet achieved the status of Salt & Vinegar Chips. What are they afraid of? People love those vinegar potato salads here, why not Salt & Vinegar Chips? Too much flavour?
** Resort bubble: One rarely leaves the resort. Too much free stuff. It's like there's a bubble you have to penetrate to leave.

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Tom who was quite into her" sends out quite an interesting message. Unfortunately he hasn't e-mailed me in a long time, so our affair (not really, in case the wrong persons happen to read this) was quite a limited expierence anyway. Ah well. Maybe I'll find another British boy in Thailand. If so, I'll name him Tom and tell you about him. Hope all is well, Eli who will e-mail you but currently just commented.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home