Thursday, June 22, 2006

Protest Review: Screw Your Wife, Not The World (Taken From Someone's Homemade Demo Sign)

Well yesterday I went to an anti-Bush demonstration staged in Vienna. The overall heading was "Stop Bush. Stop War." Which though not completely accurate, he is certainly one of the world's leading war mongers. Only 13% of the Austrian population doesn't think of him as scum, and they had to close major highways for hours, as well as parts of the city for his visit. So the Austrian's were pretty POed. Also World War II is a horrible memory in the memories of most European countries, and they feel that as America has not experienced modern war on their own soil they do not understand truly the horrors of war. Which feeds nicely into their detest for war mongers and war mongering.
Alot of people who I invited to go with me asked me why they should go. Everyone at the demo had different political platforms: some were communists, some were anti-War on Islam and racism, some were from the green party, some were for peace, some were against war, some were protesting decisions that would be made at the EU summit, some were Americans who wanted Bush impeached and tried for war crimes, some were anti-capatalism and profiteering from the anguish caused by war, some were just wanting to be rebelious. But what brought everyone together was how one individual stood for the anti-thesis of all the things they believed in. I went because I am obviously against war, particularly when it's for economic profit, throws countries into instability, targets particular groups (like muslims) and the War on Terrorism, among other things, wastes resources that could be spent on AIDS awarness and research and funding not to mention countless more important world issues.
The demonstration itself was a smashing success. The energy was amazing, and according to news reports it was 10,000 people strong, which is not only alot of people for a small city like Vienna, but twice the number the organizers had expected. I arrived a little late as it wa supposed to kick off at 17.00, but the protest hadn't started moving. People were making speaches, the one being made when I arrived was about racism against Africans, which gives one an idea of the diversity of platforms. It was very difficult to locate one of my friends I was meeting there, and for future attenders of protests, agree to meet in a restaurant or something. Emphasis on inside, as outside is often pretty hectic. They got off to a very slow start, so we stopped at a Cafe for break, and as we were finishing the protest happened to reach the spot where we were on Mariahilfer Strasse, and we rejoined it. Some person we were marching behind would sporadically toss flyers in the air that actually got a lot of air, and were our primary source of entertainment for a while. There was also sporadic chanting. And someone every now and again would let off a flair and people would cheer. Also some helicopters flew by which incited more cheering. I observed no violence, and it wasn't even all that rowdy. The scarriest thing I saw was a naked woman demonstrator in a pair of those big Gucci-inspired sunglasses. I had to leave when we got to the Hofburg, but I heard that where the march ended they set up a Fest. The place was crawling with Police and a lot of streets were barricaded. It was very safe. But I also heard that the Police were being obnoxious (I guess they don't get to see much action in Vienna). My friend and I (who wishes to remain unamed because of parental disapproval) ended up taking three girls who came from Gratz to Schottentor, and then I went off to the rest of my social engagments, but the protest was by far the coolest thing all week (we'll have to see if the next few nights can dethrown it).


Appendage:
Well I said that there wasn't any violence. But I guess I should qualify that: There wasn't any violence while I was there. It seems that after I left and the protest continured the Police and the protesters came to a bit of a head. Some protesters started throwing, what was described to me as "Gas bombs" at the police, which sounds like tear gas, leaving a huge cloud of black smoke over Heldenplatz. Then the police started making arrests and people were running all over the place trying to get away. When that (I asume) settled down a bit, there was a concert, which was apperently very good. During the concert a girl came up on stage and told the crowd that her boyfriend had not only been arrested but had also been beaten up by the police, and was currently being held at a police station. At which point a group of demonstrators went down to the station to demonstrate for his release outside of the station. I guess I missed the fun part.

PICTURES

2 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Nubian Nerd said...

Very interesting to see Bush through non-American eyes.

Thanks for sharing!

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Boe, I thought you missed it! Wasn't it b/c of hannah that you did? Anyway, I like the title. "Screw Your Wife, Not The World". Besides, 13% of all austrians, is sure alot. That % does not include what other people think, and I don't think there's just two options :D Nice to see you're posting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home