Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Homesickness isn't like the Measles

I always expected that I wouldn't get that homesick once I went off too college. I'd been homesick on and off for SA and my family my last year of high school, and considered myself having enough practice with it. But homesickness isn't like the measles. Once one gets it, they are not then inoculated against it.

I was looking at pictures of people from Vienna, out in the first district (the old city). That was my favorite part of the city. Where I'd roam weekend nights invariably cold, in noisy shoes, reeking of cigerretes, with the smell of cold and horse shit in my noise. Looking for fun I guess. Something memorable. The familiar. I also miss kissing people on the cheek in greeting (once on each cheek), not being sure if I'll get past the bouncer, the territorial nature of people in clubs, the cold politeness, the type of rudeness. I miss chatting to taxi drivers on my way home, avoiding eye contact with other passengers on trams, barely making the last bus home, sending and receiving SMSs as I drift into sleep. "Where were you tonight?" Alot of my experiences I feel I can't communicate to anyone, other than via e-mail (they were there). I doubt anyone here cares to hear about how the stars looked in the box created by the platz you got to when you walked from Waxies to Schottentor via Judenplatz. My favorite ice cream place on Schwedenplatz, where the service was terrible, but the chocolate ice cream made me feel like heaven was in my mouth. And rightly so. There's nothing more annoying than people going on about their high school (so I'm told). Though sometimes I wish my friends would tell me more about their high school experience, because in many ways it was so different from mine.

I am certainly infatuated with New College, but still in love with Vienna I guess. If that makes sense without coming out too trite (emotions are cliché anyway).

1 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Blogger Rootless mind said...

Mmmm. I like your post. I know how you feel...(as you may know. I've been loudly whining about how I miss Vienna.) Luckily I'm able to go back this winter so I'm happy about that. But it's so sad you won't be there....I will surely start looking for you somewhere downtown like a lost baby... :( :( And yes, Vienna is special. Out of whole of Europe, apparently. It has a very distinct, special feel to the city. The views, the people, the food, the air...everything. I surely do miss them.

Anyway, write more posts Boe! You are a good writer and reading other people's posts help me keep up with my English which is aggravating with an incredible speed..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home